Sunday, May 2, 2010

OK, so now what?

Smart Music

It seems that the most important component in the studio is Smart Music.  I have used it more this past week and to my surprise, the students were more into it than I had remembered.  So, no matter how neat a sheet music tablet may be, if it doesn’t run Smart Music, I will still have to carry the laptop for Smart Music. 

 

Sheet Music Tablet

A good PDF reader is all that is necessary here.  Even an Android tablet could do that.  I’ve tried imslp.org on the Droid and it works fine, just really tiny.  The only thing is that there are currently no Android tablets bigger than 7”, and even those are just announcements but not yet released products.  The iPad is a bit pricey for just this purpose.  I did more performing this week and while I’m not sure I could use one for performance just yet, it would be handy for practice as I create PDF practice parts to email to the section for the SPCO.  I would also love to have access to the Suzuki music and duet reading books without having to open Smart Music or carry the physical books.  I’ll be on the lookout for an Android tablet with a big enough screen.

 

Electronic Lesson Notes

This one is a bit trickier as it is dependant on the students to actually use an electronically delivered set of lesson notes.  I will be trying some options this summer, but I’m thinking the best thing for the older ones would be to have them keep their own notebook.  I think they would really remember things better if they wrote it themselves.  For the younger students, I can have the parents keep a notebook in the lesson and follow up with email notes.  Either way, it would still be good for my own reference to keep notes on the students either in Evernote or with the Music Teacher’s Helper system.  The main benefit of Evernote is that it can be done offline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment