Monday, June 21, 2010

SMC and the tc1100

2010-06-19 19.58.16
The institute just flew by with not nearly as much time as I had hoped to report here about all the wonderful stuff I was doing.  The tc1100 got a lot of attention and did a great job keeping up with the demands of the teacher training. 



Paper Free


I was able to do everything I needed without using up paper.  Each book of training got its own notebook in OneNote.  Each book was divided into sections for music, class notes, and observations.

I “printed” the music into OneNote from scans I had done earlier.  I printed each piece into a separate page in the music section.  This made it very easy to flip from piece to piece and take notes directly on the music without having to make up the original books.

The 30 hours of lecture is divided into a new page for each day.  I probably could have kept a page for each piece, but I can always go back and cut and paste it that way later. 

There were 16 total hours of observation, each requiring a write up to be submitted to the teacher.  Each hour got its own page in the observation section, which was then saved out as a PDF to be emailed at the end of the day. 

Detachable


I only took the slate part of the machine with me during the day.  As I started to trust the new battery more (aftermarket from ebay) I sometimes left the charger back in the room also.  When I was back in the room, I just plopped it onto the keyboard, plugged in the power and ethernet, and turned on the bluetooth mouse, leaving me with a nice desk setup. 

I have a 32GB SSD in the machine, and I knew I would be taking video (see the zoom q3 sitting next to it, more on that later) so I also brought an external hard drive to dump the video to.  Turns out, the 8GB SD card I have in the zoom was just enough to hold all the video I took, and I didn’t need to delete anything off the card anyway. 

Travel Friendly


I had all 10 books of the Suzuki violin method, in addition to music that I might want to practice, and a whole computer all in one device that fit in the music pouch on my violin case.  The extra  music turned out to be incredibly useful as I wound up testing and ultimately buying a carbon fiber bow while I was there.  Having access to any music I wanted to test the bows with was incredibly valuable.  I never could have carried that much music in dead tree form. 

And now I’m sitting here in the Dayton Airport Starbucks, typing this up while I wait for my first flight to board.

No comments:

Post a Comment