Saturday, February 12, 2011

Windows 7 fixes everything

IMG_0414I have to give a shout out to John at Allegience Technology Partners for providing the LE1600 for evaluation and then giving me free reign to install whatever I want (it gets Ubuntu next).  While the Windows 7 install was no walk in the park, now that it’s there, everything I need works.  My suspicions that SmartMusic’s poor playback might be OS related turned out to be true.  I can now say that it’s actually XP that’s garbage for SmartMusic performance.  On exactly the same hardware it went from pitifully unusable to running just fine, and all I did was upgrade the OS to Windows 7. 

IMG_0412The other thing that improved dramatically was the anti-aliasing in Windows Journal.  At least I think that’s what it is - whatever smooths the lines of the staff actually works in Windows 7.  My music went from looking like a bad photo copy to being perfectly clear.  I have not changed the files themselves at all, the only change is that now I’m opening them with Journal on Windows 7.  Perfectly clear.  Beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment